Sunday, October 18, 2009

Is Eight Ounces Enough?

Well... it's that time again... Homecoming. Apparently, Homecoming is a big thing here in Michigan. You get a dress... you have the dinner... you take the pictures... then the big party. Haven't figured out how Homecoming is different from Prom really.

Where I come from (Oklahoma) we did things differently. Sure, we had Homecoming but there was no dress... no fancy dinner... no pictures except of the funky ways people would dress for Spirit Week... and the dance was after the game in the gym. No big deal.

So The Hubby and I went to dinner with The Fireman and his wife last night. We went to Louis Benton Steak House, where I might add you can find one of the BEST steaks in Grand Rapids. So LBs as we affectionately call it, is a fancy 5 Star restaurant. They were slightly busy last night being a Saturday.

We had not been seated at our table five minutes before "they" showed up. Twelve of them to be exact. Teenagers. They did not all show up at once. Maybe four at a time. You are lucky enough to have them seated next to our table. That's right, I said YOU. Otherwise I would not have this wonderful and hopefully entertaining blog to post.

So beings my little tale...

The first group shows up... no big deal. Then the second group shows up and instead of waiting for the hostess to show them to the table, they start wandering through the dining room. That prompts a girl already seated at the table to shout out her friends name ACROSS THE DINING ROOM. Which in turn made everyone in the place cringe.

Once everyone had arrived the overall decibel level increased by about 15%. Instead of being in this nice quite atmosphere, I felt like I was sitting in Logans.

They are looking over the menus talking amongst themselves about what they are going to order when we hear the girl at the end of the table ask the question that will go down in the annals of history much like the phrase "Where's the beef?!" At least for the four people seated at our table. She is discussing the size of the Filet and asks her friends "Do you think 8 ounces is enough?"

I think it was at this point that The Fireman and I looked at each other and said "I am SO blogging about this."

Turns out that eight ounces was not big enough. She got the twelve ounce and split it with three of her friends. That's right. FOUR girls split a 12 ounce Filet. It was cute how they were so concerned about the split charge. They decided that they could split the steak themselves but wondered if they would still get charged for the additional plates.

Things quieted down a little while they were eating... but since four of them only had three ounces of steak to eat the quiet didn't last long.

I had the privilege of facing the table so every time they took a picture I got flashed in the eye. I curse the day the digital camera was invented. They took a million pictures. The Fireman was seated across from me and I was seeing so many black spots that his head had a million holes in it.

I guess they were getting bored because they were getting more and more obnoxious as the night progressed. Two of the girls decided to put the "fake" tea lights in their cleavage and pose. One girl started taking pictures of the inside of her mouth. One girl stuck her hand up another girls dress. And one girl was wearing Ugg Boots with her formal dress.

I felt so sorry for the server but luckily their group had more than six so she at least got to add the 18% gratuity.

All in all it was quite an entertaining evening. I think next time the kids should go to Outback. At least they can afford to eat there.

3 comments:

  1. That's funny (your homecoming story), I joined your fireman's blog, he's probably wondering why, I say why not!
    My mother has not joined my blog,nor has any of my friends...Congratulations on your 10th follower! Anywho, cute story about your homecoming party. The girls can get crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If my mother followed my blog, it'd be bad for everyone. Heck, I'd be grounded.

    Teenagers are stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom reads my blog. I have tried blocking the website from her but I have failed way to often. sad day.

    ReplyDelete